Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Alaska judge finds correspondence school reimbursements unconstitutional -Capitatum
Surpassing:Alaska judge finds correspondence school reimbursements unconstitutional
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:43:54
ANCHORAGE,Surpassing Alaska (AP) — Reimbursements made to parents for education-related expenses for students in Alaska correspondence schools are unconstitutional, a state court judge has ruled, adding a new twist to a debate over education that lawmakers say may not be quickly resolved.
The decision Friday by Superior Court Judge Adolf Zeman came in a case filed last year that challenged a state law that allowed correspondence student allotments to be used to “purchase nonsectarian services and materials from a public, private, or religious organization.”
Under state law, over the past decade, families with kids in correspondence schools have been allowed to receive thousands of dollars a year in reimbursements, paid with public money, for education-related expenses, the Anchorage Daily News reported.
The provisions that were ruled unconstitutional came from a bill that became law in 2014 from former Sen. Mike Dunleavy, who is now governor. The Republican also had introduced a companion constitutional amendment that would have removed limits on the use of public funds for religious or private education institutions but that went nowhere.
The Alaska Constitution say public funds can’t be paid “for the direct benefit of any religious or other private educational institution.” Zeman ruled that the laws allowing for correspondence school allotments “were drafted with the express purpose of allowing purchases of private educational services with the public correspondence student allotments.”
Alaska has roughly 20,000 students in correspondence programs, which allow children to be homeschooled under the authority of local school districts. The state had argued the allotments “are capable of a range of possible applications” that do not violate the constitution.
The Department of Law is evaluating its options following the decision, Deputy Attorney General Cori Mills said. “This is a public school program for public school children. This could result in taking away important public education opportunities from Alaskan families,” she said.
Some lawmakers said there is a need now to provide clarity around correspondence programs but questioned whether the Legislature had time to act before the current session ends in mid-May.
If the state appeals, Sen. Bill Wielechowski, an Anchorage Democrat, said lawmakers may be limited in what they can do, noting the Legislature “does not typically get involved when there is ongoing litigation.” The state also could seek a stay of the decision pending any appeal.
Scott Kendall, an attorney for the parents and teachers who brought the case, said some private schools had been instructing families on using correspondence allotments to cover tuition costs.
“The problem was, there was such a broad abuse of the system that this was essentially acting as a shadow voucher program,” he said.
Dunleavy and lawmakers have been at odds over education, a dispute that has spilled over from last year and overshadowed much of the current session. Dunleavy last month vetoed a package overwhelmingly passed by lawmakers that included a $175 million increase in aid to K-12 schools, saying it lacked provisions he favored, related to teacher bonuses and charter schools, that lawmakers failed to rally around. Lawmakers fell short of overriding the veto, and the Republican-led House has been working on a new package.
veryGood! (17441)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Suzanne Somers reveals she recently battled breast cancer again
- MLB trade deadline updates: All the moves and rumors that happened on Monday
- Who else is favored to win 2023 World Cup if USWNT gets eliminated in group stage?
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Lori Vallow Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole in Murders of Her Kids, Chad Daybell’s First Wife
- Gilgo Beach murder suspect Rex Heuermann faces pretrial hearing today
- Euphoria Actor Angus Cloud Dead at 25
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Mega Millions jackpot at $1.05 billion with no big winner Friday. See winning numbers for July 28
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Overstock bought Bed, Bath, & Beyond. What's next for shoppers? CEO weighs in on rebrand
- Beijing's worst flooding in a decade kills at least 2 as China grapples with remnants of Typhoon Doksuri
- U.S. opens investigation into steering complaints from Tesla drivers
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- 14 workers killed in the collapse of a crane being used to build a bridge in India
- Suspect in Gilgo Beach murders due in court
- Bills' Damar Hamlin clears 'super big hurdle' in first padded practice since cardiac arrest
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Memphis police shoot man who fired gun outside a Jewish school, officials say
Mar-a-Lago property manager is the latest in line of Trump staffers ensnared in legal turmoil
The first generation of solar panels will wear out. A recycling industry is taking shape
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Maine’s biggest newspaper group is now a nonprofit under the National Trust for Local News
GOP presidential race for Iowa begins to take shape
Body discovered inside a barrel in Malibu, homicide detectives investigating